Check out the latest vacancies in Children’s Health Foundation and find out more about how you could join our fundraising family.
Purpose of the Role
A key member of the Leadership team, the Director of Finance & Operations (DFO) is accountable for the fiscal integrity of CHF within policies set by the Board of Directors and the regulatory authorities. The job holder has a critical role to play to ensure the effective functioning of the organisation. S/he will lead and manage the Financial and Operational functions of CHF to achieve its intended outcomes as well as deliver a range of key services which will includes financial control, donation processing, financial governance and risk, payroll, procurement, budgeting forecasting, ICT and office management.
Principle Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide financial leadership in determining strategic business direction, financing, investment and longer-term strategies vital to the future performance of CHF.
- Measure the benefits and success of strategic initiatives and utilise any learnings for the future benefit of the organisation and its stakeholders.
- Contribute to and participate in the change management agenda.
The DFO will lead a financial function that is resourced to be fit for purpose and prepared to facilitate any future growth of the organisation;
- Protect and preserve the critical assets of the organisation and accurately report on the financial position to relevant internal and external stakeholders.
- Establish strong working relationships internally and externally to ensure that adequate funding is provided to meet the organisation’s budgeted financial requirements.
- Dynamically balance cost, risk and service levels in delivering on the organisation’s finance responsibilities.
- Ensure all reporting deadlines are fully met.
- Manage finance personnel to ensure effectiveness and quality of service and consistency of practice and standards throughout the function and to proactively address emerging issues and ensure appropriate resources are assigned to resolve issues as they arise.
- Collaborate with the senior colleagues to develop and implement standard processes within CHF for the collection and administration of donations.
- Ensure the CEO and the Board has the financial information (e.g., statistics, cash flow projections and reports) they require to support decision making.
- Oversee the annual statutory accounts and liaise with the organisation’s auditors to ensure that the audit is completed in a timely and efficient manner.
- Manage working capital and surplus funds to maximise returns, within the scope of Reserves and Investment policies.
- Liaise with key employees to determine organisational needs.
- Nurture relationships with suppliers to negotiate the best prices for the organisation. Identify and research new suppliers.
- Oversee the application of agreed procurement policies and practices throughout the organisation.
- Oversee monthly payroll processing. Ensure it is accurately produced in accordance with the agreed schedule.
- Ensure that the Finance Audit and Risk Committees are fully informed on all relevant matters and have sight of all material financial data. Ensure recommendations made by these groups are addressed effectively and speedily.
- Attend Board meetings and relevant sub-committee meetings, when requested to do so, to represent the Finance function.
- Represent the organisation as required at relevant external forums.
- Prepare an annual budgeted Income and Expenditure Account phased monthly for the CEO, Leadership team, Finance Audit & Risk Committee, and the Board of Directors in conjunction with the Director of Marketing, Communications and Fundraising.
- Prepare a cash flow projection for the year and monitor the cash position monthly.
- Develop and review finance policies considering changing circumstances and legislation and ensure all policies are updated accordingly.
- Ensure effective and appropriate governance; evaluate, monitor, and implement appropriate risk identification procedures; design and implement appropriate and effective internal audit and control systems.
- Operate as company secretary, ensuring all regulatory requirements are effectively completed and that deadlines are met for the Board and all committees.
- Manage the Governance & Compliance Executive ensuring all policies and procedures are in place and adhered to by all team members.
- Act as DPO for CHF and implement and monitor all GDPR policies and procedures.
- Ensure all team members are adequately trained in GDPR and new procedures as they arise.
Data Team Management
- Manage a team of two data administrators and ensure all data management practices are robust, held to the highest integrity and reconcile with the finance system.
ICT & Facilities
- Management of ICT Contracts and Contractors ensuring the service, the systems and the equipment are effective, and provide the needs of the users to the best standards.
- Ensure the ICT security systems are managed according to best international best practice and examine and test systems security and data recovery on a regular basis.
- Examine and streamline existing operations processes, procedures and relevant IT hardware and software and telephonic systems to ensure efficient and effective operations within the organisation.
- Ensure the smooth operation of the office(s) of the foundation. Ensure all accommodation is suitable and safe for employees.
- Ensure the smooth operation of the remote locations (Connolly, Tallaght, CHI Crumlin, CHI Temple Street and St James) with efficient use of space and personnel
- Be responsible for the tendering for and co-ordination of facilities management and cleaning services.
- Manage all office related service management contracts.
- Oversee security and access systems for the office, including the provision of after-hours alarm calls.
- Tender for and manage insurance policies, ensuring effective insurance cover is provided for all organisational activities.
- Develop and maintain an office policies and procedures manual.
Leadership and People Management
- Provide credible and agile leadership to direct reports.
- Treat employees with dignity and respect.
- Monitor employee performance. Undertaking personal development reviews on employees as may be required. Identify and provide professional development opportunities for all employees in the team through this process.
- Ensure the most efficient deployment of resources in the team.
- Manage the finance team against agreed KPIs through clear direction, delegation, and regular feedback on key activities, with provision for succession.
- Work closely with the other members of the Senior Leadership Team to ensure the strategic objectives of the organisation are fully met.
- Contribute to the development of a culture conducive to the establishment and maintenance of good employee morale.
- Ensure employees are efficiently and effectively deployed.
- Recruit employees in line with best practice and the policies and procedures. Ensure HR recruitment processes are fully complied with.
- Ensure new employees: receive induction as per the organisation policy; have a clear understanding of their duties, responsibilities; and the standards of performance expected of them. Ensure new employees are regularly assessed during the initial months of employment through the probationary review system. Where problems arise ensure the People & Culture Lead is made aware of these so that they can be dealt with in a timely manner.
- Monitor absenteeism levels. In collaboration with the People & Culture Lead ensure instances of poor attendance are addressed with the employee to ensure a speedy return to the required level of attendance.
- Provide employees with the opportunity to develop and progress.
- Promote a culture of learning and understanding of the role and purpose of the foundation.
- Communicate in an effective and timely manner with the CEO, the members of the Leadership and Management Teams, the Board, and key stakeholders.
- Support of the fundraising activities of the organisation.
- Maintain a high standard of work performance, attendance, appearance, and punctuality.
- Always ensure good working relationships with colleagues.
- Commit to ensuring a high standard of timely and effective communication across all parts of the organisation.
- Invest in continuing professional development to keep ahead of developments in the accountancy field, business systems and new ways of working.
Skills & Experience
- The job holder will hold a relevant professional accounting qualification.
- The DFO will have a minimum of 5 years’ experience as a senior/executive manager.
- They will have a deep understanding of Corporate Governance in the Charity sector.
- They will be expert in Financial and Operational Risk management.
- Possess the requisite knowledge, skills and attributes to manage a complex finance function.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to apply.
About Our Organisation
The creation of Children’s Health Foundation in 2019 brought together the existing Temple Street Foundation and The Children’s Medical and Research Foundation Crumlin to continue to support Ireland’s sickest children in their treatment journey today, tomorrow and into the future.
Children’s Health Foundation raises funds to support the delivery of services for children’s and adolescent health needs in Children’s Health Ireland (CHI) the new paediatric healthcare system in Ireland, including research and innovation, patient and parent support, infrastructure and equipment and any other health services associated with CHI.
Our purpose as a leading charity is to give every sick child In Ireland the very best chance and we are looking for bold and ambitious professionals to join our incredible team to deliver on an ambitious growth strategy.
This is an incredible opportunity to be part of the team who raise vital, life-saving funds and support some 300,000 children and their families who attend CHI each year in need of world-class paediatric care; ensuring that patients have access to the very highest standards of care, world-class facilities and the most up-to-date research that will change young lives for the better.