Sophie, one of our little patients from North Dublin, offers some kitchen inspiration to our Great Irish Bakers with a delicious recipe for Sophie’s Strawberry Swiss Roll; perfect as we head into spring! Best enjoyed with an ice-cold glass of milk, this light, no-butter Swiss Roll is the perfect sweet treat that is certain to be snapped up at your bake sale! Munch!
- 3 medium eggs
- Splash of vanilla extract
- 80g Self raising flour
- 80g Sugar
- Stiffly whipped cream
- Fresh strawberries
- Strawberry jam
- Icing sugar to finish
- Whisk up eggs, sugar and vanilla extract thoroughly with an electric whisk until pale, doubled in volume and fluffy
- Sieve in flour and fold through
- Grease a Swiss Roll tin and line with baking parchment before pouring in your mixture
- Bake at 180 degrees for 15 – 20 minutes until lightly brown and springy
- Allow sponge to cool before gently removing baking parchment from sponge
- Spread on jam and whipped cream (leave a gap at the edges of the sponge so it doesn’t spill out when rolled!)
- Thinly slice some fresh strawberries and sprinkle on top of the jam and cream
- Gently roll up and generously dust with icing sugar to finish
- Cut into six pieces and serve…yum!
There are so many variations of this Swiss Roll that you can try – how about cream, crushed toasted hazelnuts and Nutella filling or Banoffi Swiss Roll with fresh sliced banana, cream and tinned caramel!