Have you a favourite recipe that you like to whip up in the kitchen for a treat? We have been asking around for some suggestions and the lovely Anna Daly from TV3’s Ireland AM sent across her favourite recipe for Melting Moments. She got inspiration from an old Home Economics Book ‘All about Home Economics’ by Deirdre Madden. Anna has fond memories of baking this treat and gives into her sweet tooth with one or two every now and again.
“One of my faves was ‘Melting Moments’….cookies coated with cornflakes (or whatever took your fancy) that my family enjoyed or at least they told me they did for years…”
Melting Moments Recipes
6oz butter (soften the butter before you start cooking so you might want to leave it out in the kitchen for a while before you start) 5oz caster sugar
1 egg, beaten
10oz self raising flour, sifted
1 tsp vanilla essence
2oz cornflakes, crushed (use a small plastic bag and scrunch them)
8 glace cherries, quartered
– Pre-heat oven to 180C / 350F / GM4.
– Grease 2 baking sheets
– Beat the butter until soft, then add the sugar and cream until light and fluffy. This is the most important step in this recipe – if the butter and sugar isn’t creamed properly the mixture won’t be light enough
– Beat in the egg and vanilla essence 3.Work in the flour to give a fairly stiff dough
– Take dessertspoonfuls of mixture and roll them into balls
– Roll each ball in crushed cornflakes and place fairly well apart on the baking sheet
– Flatten the balls of mixture slightly and press a piece of cherry into the centre of each ball
– Bake for 15 – 20 mins or till golden brown.
Cool on a wire rack and store in an airtight container.
Anna’s favourite recipe is the first of the tasty treats that we will be featuring online during our Great Irish Bake campaign. Have you signed up to take part in the tastiest fundraising event of the year? Don’t worry it’s not too late, this year’s Great Irish Bake is on the 17th of April. You can host it at home, in school or at work! You can sign up to take part here. It really is a simple fundraising event and a great excuse to treat yourself to some cake.
The tasty recipes featured on our website are there to inspire you to create something really delicious for your friends, family and colleagues during your Great Irish Bake. If you have a tasty recipe that you like to make at home send it in to us at email@example.com with some photos and we may feature you on our Facebook page.