225g (8oz) butter
225g (8oz) sugar
225g (8oz) self raising flour
3 tbsp cocoa
2 tsp baking powder
60g (2oz) dry roasted peanuts, chopped
The Peanut butter Cream:
30g (1oz) butter
125g (4 1/2 oz) smooth peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla essence
250g (9oz) icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Butter two 7” sandwich tins and cover with the chopped nuts.
- Cream the butter and sugar. Add the eggs one by one.
- Mix in the milk. Sieve the flour, cocoa and baking powder into the egg mixture.
- Mix until well combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the two prepared sandwich tins taking care not to disturb the nuts.
- Bake for 30 mins until a skewer comes out clean. Cool on a rack.
- For the Icing: Mix the butters, milk, vanilla and half the icing sugar until well combined.
- Add the rest of the icing sugar and mix well until fluffy.
- Sandwich the cake together with the icing , top with more icing and the remaining roasted peanuts.
Why not sign up to have a go and hold your own Great Irish bake on, or around Friday 15th April. Get together with family, friends, neighbours or colleagues and raise some dough for Temple Street! Sign up below to receive your gorgeous Great Irish Bake supporter pack with everything you need to make your cake sale a huge success!