Imelda McCarron’s Coffee & Walnut Cake
We are thrilled to welcome expert baker and 2018 Great British Bake Off contestant Imelda McCarron (also known as The Rambling Baker) on board for this year’s Great Irish Bake for Temple Street! Imelda has kindly shared her recipe for this delicious coffee & walnut cake with us – perfect to make for your bake sale on 5th April! You can find even more scrumptious recipes on Imelda’s Instagram!
2 tsp instant coffee (dissolved in 2tbsp hot water)
115g unsalted butter, softened
115g golden caster sugar
135g self-raising flour
½ tsp baking powder
75g chopped walnuts (plus a few extra to decorate)
3 tbsp milk
1. Preheat the oven to 160oC. Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin.
2. Dissolve the coffee in the hot water
3. Add the butter and sugar to the mixer and mix until light and creamy
4. Sieve in the flour and baking powder
5. Crack the eggs into a jug and mix lightly with a fork
6. Add the eggs to the mixing bowl in a slow, steady stream mixing continuously. Continue mixing until all ingredients are fully combined. Don’t over beat
7. Pour the cake mix into the lined tin and cook in the oven for 35-40minutes until risen, golden, firm on top and shrinking from the sides of the tin
8. Leave cake in tin until cool
For the icing
2tsp Instant Coffee
1tsp Boiling Water
75g Unsalted Butter (Softened)
250g Sifted Icing Sugar
Cocoa Powder to decorate
9. Dissolve the instant coffee in the boiling water and leave to one side to cool slightly.
10. In a seperate bowl beat together the butter and icing sugar until smooth then beat in the cooled coffee mixture.
11. Remove the cake from the loaf tin, spread the buttercream on top of the cake and sift a tablespoon or two of cocoa powder on top to serve!