Biscuits are always a winner at a bake sale, and below Imelda McCarron has shared a cracker of a recipe for her white chocolate and coconut oatmeal biscuits – a fantastic combination! Why not try these out for your own Great Irish Bake on 5th April? You can find Imelda on Facebook as The Rambling Baker) and even more scrumptious recipes on Imelda’s Instagram!
• 200g salted butter
• 100g golden caster sugar
• 100g medium cut oatbran
• 150g Oats
• 100g Wholemeal Wheat Flour
• 1tsp ground nutmeg
• 300g white chocolate
• 100g desiccated coconut
50g flour for covering trays and bench
1. Set oven to 160oC and lightly flour two baking trays (9”x12” and 13”x13”)
2. Place the sugar and butter into a large mixing bowl and using an electric hand mixer, cream butter and sugar only just until combined
3. Work in the dry ingredients mixing gently with a wooden spoon
4. Stir the mixture with hands until the dough starts to come together. Tip the mixture out on to a lightly floured work surface and bring together into a large ball
5. Wrap in clingfilm and put into the fridge for 15 – 20 minutes
6. Flour your rolling pin and workbench; gently roll the dough out to ¼” thick. Make sure biscuits are thin and uniform or they will cook unevenly
7. Using a smooth, circular cutter (6cm diameter), cut out biscuits and place onto baking trays.
8. Bake in preheated oven at 160oC fan for 10-12 minutes, keeping a close eye as the biscuits catch quickly
9. Remove from the oven and transfer to a cooling rack using a flat spatula/ similar tool.
10. Leave to cool completely. Meanwhile place a medium sized heatproof bowl over a medium sized saucepan with a few centimetres of simmering water, making sure the bowl is not touching the water.
11. While the biscuits are cooling, melt the white chocolate buttons in the bowl until completely melted
12. Place the desiccated coconut into a medium bowl
13. Once the biscuits are cool coat them half in white chocolate by tipping the bowl with chocolate in it at a 45o angle and dip the biscuit in until it is half coated in chocolate. Take it out and place into the bowl with coconut to give a coating of coconut
14. Leave to cool completely until the chocolate has set