Check out these fun, colourful and delicious cupcakes – kindly shared with us by Kelly Lou Cakes. These multi-coloured buns are sure to bring a splash of pizzazz to your bake sale this April! Thanks so much to Kelly Lou for this wonderful recipe.
180g self-raising flour
180g room temperature butter
180g caster sugar
3 tablespoons sprinkles
Drop of vanilla extract
For the icing:
400g icing suger
200g room temperature butter
Drop vanilla extract
You will need paper bun cases and a bun tin, piping bag and tip
• Preheat the oven to 175C.
• Place the flour, butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla in a stand mixer (or use a hand mixer and bowl) and mix together on medium speed until smooth and well combined.
• Add in the sprinkles and mix through
• Fill each bun case about ¾ full with the batter. A potato scoop is useful here to get even size scoops of batter.
• Bake at 175C for 18-20 minutes.
In the meantime, make the buttercream icing.
• Place the sieved icing sugar and soft butter into the bowl of the mixer along with a drop of vanilla extract and mix on a low speed first to combine and then gradually increase the speed.
• Keep beating for 3-4 minutes to achieve a light fluffy icing.
When the cupcakes are baked leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes then remove to a wire rack and leave until completely cold.
To get a stripe effect on the icing, using a long handled brush paint stripes of food colouring on the inside of the icing bag. Fill the bag with the icing and then pipe on top of the cooled cupcakes.
You can add fondant ears and horn to make unicorn cupcakes!